Tuesday, August 5, 2014

What is the BEST programming available-UPDATED

****UPDATE: Sadly, In July 2015, Blair started restricting the times available to do the level 2 programming.  I have been forced to train in the regular class and then try to fit in any extra work in the following 30 minutes after class.  Well.....it hasn't stopped my progress!  I've been able to continue to make steady improvements following the plan CF classes 3 days a week and then customizing with programming from Competitors training and the various sources I follow online.  Plus a weekend day of 2 hours dedicated to what the regular programming at my gym was missing.


     There is an abundance of great (FREE) programming on the internet.  My favorite has to be Invictus (CJ Martin is a genius) and Competitors Training (Ben Bergeron is also a programming mad scientist with WOD's based on if you are a games, regional, or open level athlete).  I also like Outlaw (heavy on the Oly) and Proving Grounds (I like it for its simplicity) too.  OPT is touted as a great site too, but I've never been able to get into it (too much function, will, being, she, he, her, us, them....blah blah blah).

     I personally follow the level 2 programming from my coach Blair Morrison, perennial Regional compeitior, Reebok athlete, and 3x times Games competitor.

     BUT
     None of these are the BEST.   

     The BEST programming is the programming that is literally tailored to you.  

     Blair and I sat over lunch for an hour discussing my weaknesses, strengths, nutrition, rest strategies, and all the things that pertained to my situation.  While I still follow his level 2 template, he has given me specifics that I drill regularly (daily) and the liberty to forego certain skills or movements that are in my wheelhouse and to focus more on my weaknesses.  It has made a HUGE difference.

     I could follow one of the other sites above, but I would HAVE to tailor the programming to me specifically and not just follow it to the letter.  All programs are going to make you overall better at Crossfit, BUT....

if you can't do strict HSPU's
if you can't walk on your hands
if you don't have double unders nailed
if you can't do 50 push ups
if you struggle with overhead squats

Whatever it is....

you HAVE to attack it regularly in your personalized programming or else you never will be getting the BEST programming!

No comments:

Post a Comment