Thursday, October 22, 2015

Doing business with friends and family

   

     I have lived long enough to see things not always go as planned.  It's caused me to have a rule I try to follow about doing business with friends and family.  Rule 1: If I'm good friends or family with someone, I don't like to do business with them.

     If I'm just acquainted with them or don't spend much actual time with them, then I don't mind.

     Over the years I have broken this rule here and there and when I do, I follow a 2nd rule.  Rule 2: If you decide to do business with good friends or family, you have to promise not to complain or get upset.

     I generally tend to regard things like this:  I value my family and friendships TOO MUCH to put them at risk by doing business with them.

     No one is perfect.  Everyone makes mistakes.  And on top of that, some issues are unavoidable and then the person whose watch it happens on is responsible.


     I've owned a physical therapy practice for over 20 years.  I like to think we're pretty good.  I could run down the list why....but that's another blog post :)  My point is that if a friend  needs help, I expect them to come to me and I'll hook them up at my clinic.  BUT, if they were to tell me they felt more comfortable going somewhere else, I would totally get it.  What happens if things don't go as planned in the rehab?  What happens if an issue arises?

     I'd much rather have a friendship than a patient/client.

No comments:

Post a Comment