Monday, April 28, 2014

Coachability...It's more than you think

     Very few athletes achieve greatness without coaching.  Coachability is often thought of as, will an athlete listen to improve their game.  While that is certainly a part of it, I think that there is far more.
   
     Problem: We all start out in sport as learners.  We all are coached at some point.  I recall learning fast in my early crossfit training because I would constantly bug people to show me stuff.  At some point though there can be a shift in an athlete where they are proficient in things and they stop seeking to learn so vigorously.

     Solution: Constantly ask folks to look at your technique/training, etc...don't ever stop trying to master the basics.  If the coach is busy, ask someone else.

     Problem:  You start to think that you can't learn from certain folks because you are further along in your development that they are.  This is a BIG mistake.  This is the "smartest guy in the room syndrome".

     The smartest people understand that they are life long learners and that you can learn from a large variety of sources, even if the resources you are tapping are less experienced than you, behind you in their development or someone that you may even disagree with.

     Solution:  Ask for feedback and advice from a large variety of folks regardless of their level or experience.  If it doesn't make sense, disregard it.  But very often a beginner will give you a gem about the fundamentals you've long forgotten or taken for granted.

     Problem:  The "That won't work for me" or the "I already do that" athlete.  Often times we as athlete's are resistant to cues or coaching out of either pride or a lack of understanding.

     I have a buddy who is (and I'm not trying to be mean) an annoying coach.  He's ALWAYS trying to tell you how to do something even if you aren't asking.  Recently he figured something out that helped me with my Muscle ups I've struggled with for literally years.  In the process I recall being dismissive and telling him that I already did what he was saying.  Well I obviously wasn't.  And when I finally got over myself I was able to hit the movement repeatedly with minimal effort.  For the 1st time in YEARS.

     Solution: Stop with the excuses and assume that the person trying to coach you might be right or there might be a way to do what they're saying that you haven't thought of yet.  In other words, drop your ego and excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment