Monday, April 7, 2014

Plantar Fasciitis and the ice bath

UPDATE!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Cramer-279820-E6-Cryo-Cap-Pair/dp/B0001DK4O8



This will make a WORLD of difference in tolerance!


Ok so here's the deal.  Plantar fasciitis sucks.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

I was an ultra marathoner for MANY years before finding crossfit.  From 1998 ish till 2011 ish.  I played around with a few marathons in 2012 and 2013, but mostly my running career was over by then.

In July of what I think was 2012 I upped my miles one week and my foot started to hurt.  As you know I own a PT clinic and so I tried it all, massage, ice, taping, ultrasound, time off from running, etc... and nothing helped.  I would be miserable when I 1st stood up out of bed and then after activity.

I found that this was the case with 50% of the patients that we saw.  half responded to our efforts and the other half did not.  The thing that FINALLY helped me was the ice bath.

Not just any ice bath either.  You need to put in enough ice that the ice is not going to let you see water, but only ice.  And (this is the most important part) you need to get your foot into it past the ankle for 20 minutes.

I've found that many folks can't make it.  If you can't make it to 20, you might as well start asking your doctor for injections and give up.  You HAVE to make it to 20.  After you make it to 20 minutes, you want to do this at least 1x a day and then after activity or being on your feet for longer periods.

Treatment plan:
Ice bath 20 minutes 1-2 x a day for 3 weeks.  It was the only thing that fixed me and I've seen it work with others too.

But you have to be TOUGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment