Monday, May 18, 2015

Technique I use to PR my back squat

   
      First I warm up with my 3 things I wrote about here Squat warm up.
1. Ankles 2. Knees 3. Hips

     My current max is 355, so here is a sample of what I would do.

     I keep my flat shoes (INOV8 192's) on to start my build to a heavy weight, this is essential.  It will create a mobility session in the build.  Stay away from your Olys for now.  Also do not use your belt yet either.  Using the belt will come later for the psychological edge.

     My progression is based on the philosophy of Coach Michael Rutherford.  I start with the bar for 5-6 reps.  Then I build by 50 lb jumps.  So I will do 95 for 4-5, 145 for 4-5, 195 for 3-4, 245 for 3.   These reps tend to get me really working on my balance up to the heavy stuff.  At some point along the way, I'll sit at the bottom for a second usually with the 195 or 245 to get my bottom position feeling good.

     Now that the weight is heavy, I switch to my Oly shoes.  Still no belt though.  I'll go for 295 for 1-2.  And so let's just say that I'm hunting for 360 today.  I will start to approach the weight slower instead of by the full 50 lb jumps.  So with Olys but still no belt, I'll put on 330 and hit a single.

       Next I will go just under my PR with a belt on.  I'll go for 350.  This usually feels WAY easier now that the belt is on.

     The next stop will be 360.  My coach says to stay away from the current PR on the way to the new one.  So I always sneak up on it.

     Technique:

1. I always set/brace my spine on the unracking.  I dial in my tension enough that I can still breathe and unrack.  So not totally breathe holding grrrr bracing.  I do this from the empty bar onward.

2. I place my hands as close as I can get them to my shoulders but still able to push the elbows forward under the wrists.  This does 2 things: 1. It creates tension in the upper back when the hands are closer to the shoulders.  2. Driving the elbows forward and keeping them under the wrists keeps the chest from falling.

3. I squeeze the bar hard with my hands.

4. I never walk out from the rack more than 2 steps.

5. I take a deep breath and really try to fill up the lower part of my stomach and then my ribs.

6. Then I do the lift.

Some folks advocate a heavy walk out with something like 390 on a 360 attempt and holding it for 8-10" but I have never liked this.


No comments:

Post a Comment