Monday, January 4, 2016

Leaderboards are dumb, benchmark boards are not.....

     Jeez, talk about click bait....sorry.  Blair (Morrison, my coach) and I had a brief conversation after two new women came into the gym today about progress.

     It turns out that these 2 gals came from my previous CF gym and they have both been CF'ing for like 6 years.  They have goals of better coaching and getting better.  It occurred to me that the box they are coming from has a leaderboard that looks like this:



     One thing that stands out is that the same names are usually topping the leaderboard for most things.  So essentially you are either one of the bad ass leaders.....or you're not.  And unless you are me (who keeps meticulous records of EVERY training sessions and also logs them on the mywod app) then how do you know where you stand related to you??  And really unless you are in the top 1-2%, isn't that what really matters??

     As Blair said, "I don't think this system is very conducive for progress".

   Anyhow, our gym has a full wall dedicated to EVERY member and it looks something like this (we only have about 11 benchmarks though):


     Ok, this isn't "actually" it, because I forgot to take a pic of our board today when I left.  But these folks are doing it right!  Each member has a running benchmark log that allows them to keep progressing.  Blair and I think that this is the best way to do what matters, increasing the fitness of people.  And as a side, it doesn't promote a caste system of the elite and all the rest.

     So if you are a gym with a "leaderboard", I ask you for the sake of the 99%, rethink that and consider an inclusive benchmark board!!

No comments:

Post a Comment