Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Why I don't go to church or college anymore

OPINION ALERT.....

     I was discussing with someone recently the subject of church.  It came up that I went for many years, my kids went as well, but that our family doesn't go any longer.

      It got me to thinking.  I feel like church attendance is a lot like going to college.  You often will go to college, get your degree and then graduate.  It doesn't mean that you stop learning though.  It simply means that you have gone, obtained a foundation, and now are (hopefully) putting that into practice in the world as you continue to grow and learn from life.

     Is there more to obtain from going to more college or more church?  Of course.  At what point though does it become something that you are no longer enjoying, or maybe obtaining information at a rate that doesn't justify the attendance in your mind?  I think that is different for everyone.
   
     Is there anything wrong with continual college or church attendance throughout your whole life? Of course not.  Is it enjoyable, do you feel that you are getting something out of it?

     I'd also say that on the other side of the spectrum, I've met many folks that were extremely loving and Christlike and hadn't had much if any exposure to church.  The same goes for the self made business man with no college.  So do you HAVE to go to either?  Not necessarily.....

     Part 2 of this......

     I believe in a personal God who "knows" me.  This is a Christian tenant.  As such, I don't believe in obligation and guilt as motivators.  I think of the old song I heard as a child, "You've got a friend in Jesus" and I don't think that I visit my friend only 1 day a week out of duty or habit.  I think that I spend time with my friend all the time, allowing him to guide and counsel me.  My friend wants me to be happy, not burdened.  I may have met him in a church, but then the foundation and understanding was built and I began to walk with him daily through real life.


     I went to college in my early 20's.  When I was older (late 30's) I went back to college and obtained my business degree.  It was a worthwhile decision.  You never know, I may go back again some day.  But I am always learning... My life learning doesn't end because I'm out of school.  My desire to grow closer to God and love people doesn't end because I no longer go to church.  Do I want my kids to go to college and/or church for their own foundation?  If they would like to, yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment